Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Mark 2

Boy, this chapter is full of interesting events in Jesus' life. I have always wondered what people said about the four guys who dug a hole in someone else's roof to get their friend to Jesus. Sure we say what amazing faith they had and people were probably distracted by the paralytic walking around, but when Jesus left that person's house it still had a hole in the roof. Did they fix it or offer any help getting it repaired?
Then we have people looking down on Jesus for eating with "sinners and tax collectors." Those were people a good religious person should not be with. Then Jesus says one of my personal favorite lines (he has a lot of them I know) "It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick." The church should not be a place where we show off how healthy we are, but a place for those who are sick to be cared for and restored to health.
As a pastor with much of my time dedicated to caring for my congregation, who I see as mostly healthy people, at least they have a relationship with God, I wish I had more time to be with the sick. I wish I had more time to be with people who do not have a relationship with God in order to draw them into that relationship. But I also hope I help prepare my congregation to be the people to go to the sick and help them.
Well, that is probably enough on Mark chapter 2. Hope you will continue to build your faith with me through this Gospel and comment with your questions and insights, so we can learn from each other.

No comments: