Monday, February 18, 2008

Doorway to Servanthood

Since we had a small crowd yesterday in worship I figured I would share my main point here instead of after thoughts because I think it is a good practice we can get into.
For the message I had some of the youth group build me a four and half foot tall door, which is of course shorter than regulation. I talked about how many doorways we go through in a day and one day last week I went through 268 doors. Then I threw out the idea that if we turned all of these doorways or at least the one to our home into these four and a half foot doorways we might have a different attitude towards those on the other side of the door.
The short door would force us to bow our heads, to humble ourselves, as we walk through that door. This would be to remind us of what Jesus says in Matthew 20:28 that he did not come to be served, but to serve and give his life as a ransom for many. This door would be a doorway to servanthood. We would be reminded that we are here to serve the person on the other side of the door. I know if I would be reminded 268 times a day of my call to serve I would be more ready to serve then to demand service.

MISSION: Try for one day to bow your head every time you walk through a doorway as a reminder of your call to servanthood. Then serve others without complaining.

No comments: