Monday, February 11, 2008

High Hopes

Yesterday we began our Lenten Season of Radical Renovation. We talked about committing to build on the faith foundation we have. The challenge I gave was to read through the Gospels of Mark and John during the 40 days of Lent. If each person took five minutes a day during Lent to read one chapter they would be through those two Gospels in 37 days. This would mean during Lent each person would have read through the life and teaching of Jesus twice.
And when we read God's Word, especially the life of Jesus, we see the example of the life we are called to live. I believe that God's Word is so powerful if we read it and take it in we will be changed. We will see the areas of our lives that we are living God's way, but we will also see the areas of our lives that God needs to renovate.
I always have high hopes that everyone will give five miniutes a day for building their faith, but I also know that realistically there will be few who are willing to do this. I get frustrated when people are so willing to go to great lengths to be sure there is time for a tv show, a sporting event, or a hobby, and then they can't take five minutes to interact with a God who loves them. (If you can tell me how to fix this let me know.) Sorry for the pity party, but I just hope anyone who reads this will be willing to give five minutes a day to the Lord to know him more and to live a life that will reflect Christ to others.
During Lent I am going to blog more often, at least twice a week, with Mondays to reflect on Sunday's message, but another time in the week to reflect on the reading from Mark and John. If you read with me and have questions or comments along the way comment me and I will respond with my thoughts to your questions or insights.

MISSION: Read one chapter a day during Lent starting with Mark's Gospel and then moving on to John's Gospel. Second mission: invite someone else to join you in this and keep each other accountable.

No comments: