Monday, November 2, 2009

All Saints Day

All Saints Day is the first of November. It is a day to remember those who have gone on to heaven from the past year. It is also a time to reflect back on the heavenly saints who have impacted our lives.
I am blessed to be able to be present with families with the loss of a loved one. This past year I have only officiated three funerals and have one coming up this month. Robert Uhlmann and Ruth Papritz are the saints connected to our church directly who will be missed. I also was with the Vaile family in the death of Kristi's mother last December and I officiated Marty Schlesselman's dad's services as well. I know these families continue to mourn these losses and I pray specifically for them in this time.
The heavenly saint that I continue to remember was a friend of mine that was killed in a car accident in college. Her name was Jenny and she was in school to become a teacher for deaf children. She felt God had called to that work. When I got the phone call telling of her death I was confused that God would allow this to happen to someone who only wanted to serve Him. However, I do continue to celebrate the life she did have and the many people she touched.
Who are the heavenly saints you remember today? Feel free to write a comment to remind us all of what others who have gone on before us have taught us.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My saint I would like to share is Aunt Rita (Johnston). Funny how she was "Aunt" to so many! She taught me to treat no one like a stranger. I'm pretty sure she never meet a stranger herself, she was friends with everyone! She was always was fully dressed with a smile and happy to greet everyone with a hug! My family misses her SO much it hurts but so thankful that we have so many wonderful memories of her. Oh the stories keep us laughing and I know that's exactly what she would want!

I would like to tell you all that she asked for her headstone to be a bench just so she could continue chatting with us and you are ALL welcome to do just that!

Love,
Jamie

Helen said...

My grandparents and Jordan,a girl from my first youth group. I had the blessing of being with her when she gave her life to the the Lord on a youth trip and then 1 month later she was killed in a car accident. I always rejoice knowing that she is dancing in Heaven and looking after all the other kids from the youth group.