Monday, November 23, 2009

Give or Receive?

Is it better to give than receive? I think this is a tough question if you really think about it.
Who does not enjoy receiving a gift? I look forward to my birthday when I get to be surprised by what my family will give me. My kids often bring "gifts" home for me and no matter what it is I at least offer some enthusiasm as I receive the gift. I am happy they thought about me and wanted to bring me a gift, no matter what it is.
Sometimes our ego can get in the way of receiving a gift. We are too proud to accept a gift even when it is needed. This might be a time we would rather give than receive. Yet, I believe this is a time we need to simply be grateful for the offer and receive the gift.
It is this way when it comes to eternal life. Nothing we can do will ever achieve eternal life, other than accepting the free gift of God's grace, which we do not deserve, but God offers it anyway.
Giving on the other hand, is also a blessing. I find it a joy to give a gift to someone. Especially when a lot of thought and work has gone into the gift. I do not have the talent to make a gift for someone, so it is most often something I have bought, but I usually spend a good amount of time thinking about the perfect gift for that person that will really meet a need in their life. So I feel joy knowing they feel joy because of something I have done. Being generous can fill our lives with joy as we are free to offer blessings to others.
God invites us to be generous in our lives because He has been generous with all He has as well. This includes God's willingness to give His son Jesus to forgive us of our sins. God has been generous with much and invites us to do the same.
So, is it better to give than receive or better to receive than give? What do you think?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don't you think that true, honest giving is actually a gift to the giver? I do. I know that when I give, it's me that receives that warm fuzzy feeling. Or the satisfaction that I have made a difference in someone's life. When I help someone with a favor, I'm usually the one left with a smile on my face. So the whole giving/receiving argument is sorta like the chicken/egg thing. There is no "right" answer other than what your heart is telling you. Sometimes it's our turn to give and sometimes we're on the receiving end. And that's the way it goes. Happy Thanksgiving, Parks Family!! Safe travel!