Monday, October 26, 2009

Prayer Takes You There

In our final look at prayer I wonder where prayer takes you? What image or experience do you have when you pray?
For me, prayer most often leads me to two places. While I am praying with some frustration or worry, God leads me to a place of peace. If my heart is troubled, whether I recognize it or not, prayer brings a sense of peace to my soul. After some time in prayer I feel God the Father wrap me in His arms and hold me close. God reminds me that in the midst of trouble His hand is strong. When I finish praying I have an assurance that God is still in control.
The second place God takes me in prayer is to a place of joy. This is where God takes me as he reminds me of all the blessings I have in this life. He brings to my mind the joy my wife and kids bring to me. He helps me remember how blessed I am to have my occupation match my calling to serve God and His children. When I finish a prayer time like that a smile is on my face and I am ready to receive all that life has to offer.
So where does prayer take you? It may not take you to the same place every time and it will not be the same places I go in prayer, but I want to hear from you. Share your prayer experiences with us.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The question of the day is-where does prayer take you? Hmmm....I guess I can also answer this in two parts just as James has. I also go to a place of peace and restorative calm when I pray with trouble on my mind. It's escapism at it's finest moment. The world may be tumbling about you but in prayer, there is that serenity that transports you to His garden of grace. And then there are other times, especially when reciting the Lord's Prayer that the historian in me comes out and I can reflect on how amazing it is that I am saying these same ancient words that so many faithful have said before. After all, this is the prayer that Jesus taught his followers! Talk about a legacy!! Now I know the language isn't the same and sometimes the translations didn't always follow precisely but to know that these are the same words that Paul said, that Joan of Arc said, that John Wesley said, that Mother Teresa said fills me up. Makes me bow my head in revert awe of it's power.