Monday, November 9, 2009

Dreamin'

Yesterday we began a series of messages called "Enough: Discovering Joy Through Simplicity and Generosity." Yesterday I mainly wanted to get across the idea that God wants you to have joy when you consider your financial situation. God does not desire for you to have worry, anxiety or fear when it comes to finances. God has enough and God has a plan for you to have enough as well.
I shared about chasing God's dream and not the American Dream because the American Dream can quickly turn into a nightmare.
One person sent me an email wrestling with the idea of the American Dream. He was saying the dream used to be to give a better life to the next generation. However, I have felt the dream has turned into everyone wanting bigger and better. Sure we might say it is for the next generation, but we also get plenty of bigger and better stuff for ourselves. (I may wrestle more with this idea and share some thoughts in my next message.)
So I challenged the congregation to dream about God's dream for their lives. One of my dreams is to help people know God's love and to know God's plan for their finances specifically. I have the dream to help others with finances because I have seen too many families struggle with finances. I have not just seen poor families struggle, but middle class and upper class people as well. We all can struggle if our finances do not bring joy into our lives.
In my life I have found joy in finances as Helen and I cover our bills and have enough to give where we want. It is a joy to be free to give generously when we see a need. I want to spread this joy to anyone and everyone.
So what are your dreams? Where do you see God calling you to make a difference in this world? What purpose do you feel compelled to fulfill? Feel free to share your thoughts or ask questions about the dreams we chase.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Appreciated your message on Sunday, and appreciated your blog. Wow, I had forgotten about the American dream being about "a better life to the next generation." Haven't heard that for a while, but I grew up in that atmosphere. What a joy!!

My greatest wish for the next generation is that more and more can know God's purpose the joy of simplicity. I would agree that the last 20 years of the booming economy has left us all tempted to chase the dream material wealth. I am certainly no exception to the rule.