Monday, May 4, 2009

Everyday Confirmation

Yesterday we confirmed 16 youth into our congregation. They were confirming the vows made at their baptism. Some of the youth made their original baptism vows themselves, but a majority of them had their vows made on their behalf by their parents.
I also happen to go back to my home church in the afternoon for a handbell concert and on the wall they have pictures of past confirmation classes and I went back to the class of 1991 and there I was. I was standing next to one of the pastors. That day does not stand out in my mind at all. In fact, it wasn't until a few years later that I truly personally accepted Christ as my Savior.
I shared yesterday from John 21 where Jesus asks Peter three times if he loved him. Three times Peter had to say, "You know that I love you." This made me wonder how often Jesus has to ask me if I love him? Another way to look at it is how often do I have to confirm my love for God? Most of the time it is every day.
Last week a couple had their car break down in Williamsburg. They called looking for some money for food. I was in a meeting and when I came out I had a message from this couple, but also one from the Presbyterian Church. I called the other church first and the pastor and I discussed the request of this couple and where to get the assistance they needed. The pastor said he was planning to help them get some food, but this was the most difficult part of his job.
I agree that it is tough to have someone come asking for help and our human minds begin to wonder if we are being taken advantage of. Many of the stories I hear are hard to believe because it seems like every bad thing possible has happened to this person in one day in order to bring them to this point of needing assistance. I know I have been taken advantage of, probably on more than one occasion.
However, I have decided I will not just allow myself to be taken advantage of, but I will more often error on the side of compassion. I doubt when I meet Jesus face to face that he will scold me for being too compassionate. But when I withhold compassion he will ask me, "James, son of John, do you love me? Take care of my sheep."
Each and every day I need to confirm my love for Christ. It is the reason I do what I do. On some of those tough days it is even more often that I need to remember my love for God and God's love for me.
Don't forget to confirm your love for Christ and care for all of his people every day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

On ocassion my "Ghandian" tendencies have gotten me in a jam with John, my kids, sometimes my banker. I would love to give everything I have away. I could and have, live very simply. It's the rest of the world that insists on getting paid for water (don't even get me started!), mortgages, clothing and food. If there's a guy with a sign on a street corner, he's probably gotten a dollar from me at some point. Maybe it's because I have been broke myself that it's so easy to hand it over? And maybe the belief that it will be my dollar that saves this guy from the edge? Or the knowledge that God wants us to share and we will receive in return? I agree that we will not be turned away from the Golden Gates because we have been too giving, too kind, too caring. Aren't those oxymorons? Can anyone be TOO good? Aren't we striving to be Christ-like in our everyday lives?