Sunday, May 31, 2009

Is it Eternal?

In worship this morning Helen invited us to ask the question, is it eternal? I began to think about how this question could invite discussion about the work and ministry of our church. Are there places our work is not meeting the "eternal" standard?
The first place that came to my mind was our building and the current landscaping project. Bricks and mortar are an interesting piece of the church. We know the bricks and mortar are not eternal. They will deteriorate and need to be repaired and at times they will need to be demolished or abandoned.
But what about the eternal work that goes on inside the brick and mortar? Is a $1.2 million building worth it to bring just one person into a relationship with God? If that is what it takes then I would be satisfied with that. If our trees and bushes that will be planted soon would just lead people to Jesus then I would not need to worry so much about their cost.
Maybe I am putting more thought into this then necessary because it would probably be difficult to have a church without a building. However maybe the "eternal" question does apply when we fall into making decisions to protect or preserve the build over using it for ministry. Not that we have done that, but something to always keep in mind.
I do appreciate the work of our Trustees to be flexible and willing to do whatever it takes to make our property and facility beautiful, inviting, and a major tool for making an eternal difference in this world.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When I was at the church this morning, I walked down the hall, past the library and looked good and hard at the photos we have hanging there. Gary Keiser did such a wonderful job making new frames for these three (soon to be four) photos. The three older photos are remarkable when you take the time to really look at them. In the first one, members of the church are gathered outside the first clapboard church of Methodist faith in Williamsburg. The kids are everywhere, the women are gathered at the back, near the building, in the shade. The men are either in the cars or leaning against them. Not so unlike a photo we might take today. The photo of Pilot Grove is an aerial shot taken after it's time had come. But if you look really hard, you can see a corner of the cemetery on the left hand side. The cemetery where many of the first settlers of Iowa County are buried and most assuredly, the founding members of Pilot Grover Methodist Church. The third photo is of our building on Court Street that we recently left behind. This is the building I grew up in, both in size and faith. Looking at it, I saw the steps on the south side that the groomsmen for my sister's wedding stood and smoked nervously. I saw the big north steps that we would eat lunch on at Vacation Bible School. I saw the corner of the old high school building that stood where the post office is now. And in my mind, I saw the Langley's, Lesta Lortz, Jack Snoddy,Dale Mayberry, Joe & Esther Evans, JR Munnik, my parents and so many others. These are the people that watched over me, led me to Christ and helped me understand what faith is all about. That is my eternal church. And as it continues in its eternity, I see Denny and Phyllis, Jamie and her brood, Joanie Kleinmeyer, Theresa Fleming and John Phillips. I hear the same old songs we have sung forever and new ones I want to sing forever. I see people planting trees in memory of some of those gone before us and in honor of those we barely know yet. Yes, the church is eternal.
Because He is eternal.