Monday, April 13, 2009

Simple Truth

We have finished looking at John 3:16 for the season of Lent. That is six weeks of focusing on one scripture verse. Of course Max Lucado wrote 12 chapters on the verse. It is amazing how deep this verse can take you if you really wanted to dig into it. And yet it can also be very simple and a verse that can communicate to someone who has not heard the Gospel of Christ before.
I know I have found renewed hope in this verse and have been reminded to never discard it. Not that I had discarded it, but sometimes my brain tells me to move past the old "children stories of the Bible." I get too caught with being sophisticated and finding new truths in the Bible that I bypass those timeless truths found in the simple stories. These stories speak to our children and they understand the message, but then the mature adults (myself included) forget their messages.
The simple truth of Easter and the resurrection is that Jesus was dead on the cross because of our sins. However, three days later he had defeated death and offered forgiveness for our sins. This is the sign that John 3:16 is true. God's Son was given that we might have eternal life. Never forget the simple truths. Never forget God's love for you is so powerful that it will even overcome death.

No comments: