Monday, March 3, 2008

Tools

I was reflecting on what to write today and I was drawn back to the skit the youth used to open the 10:30 service yesterday (they did it at the 8:30 service two weeks ago). The skit was titled "Useless Tools" and the main point was many times as Christians we do not take the time to teach people about the tools we have as Christians. Basically we say once you are a member or attend church regularly you are finished with your faith. We stop there instead of realizing God has called all of us to be disciples, Christ followers. This is a life long process of following where Christ leads us.
As a church we do need to become more aware of this calling to be disciples. We need to offer more opportunities for people to learn and grow in their faith, to be discipled. We also need people who are willing to disciple others. Yes, this is the pastor's calling, but it is the calling of all Christ followers as well. We each really should have a person we can follow and learn from and then have someone we are teaching as well. Of course Christ is the ultimate person we follow, but he also uses the faithful to disciple others.

MISSION: Think about who has discipled you and if that is not a specific part of your relationship talk with that person to see if they would be willing to pass on their lessons of the faith to you. Also think about who you might help grow in the faith at this time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have to say that even though I've been a member of this church since confirmation all those years ago that I didn't fully get the whole "God thing" until Brother Dave reached out to me about 4 or 5 years ago. I am SO thankful for God putting David in my life because it has taken me on such a wonderful spiritual journey. So I guess I just wanted to state that I think discipling others is SO extremely important!!! I can pretty much say it saved my life... I can't imagine where I would be if it weren't for David and because of his actions I have been following in those footsteps and reaching other people too! It's an amazing feeling to reach someone through God!!!