Monday, March 10, 2008

The Invitation

I wonder how much we could learn from one another about making an invitation to someone to join us at church? As the pastor I do invite people to join us at our church, but I also feel an invitation is better coming from someone other than the pastor. Some may look at it as my "job" to invite people and get more people into our church. If it is my job then the invitation may not feel heart-felt like I am doing this because I am paid. (Which of course is not true because I want every to experience Christ in the church as I have.) If the invitation comes from someone else it can really be felt as an act of love and kindness.
So I want to know what the best ways are to invite someone to church. What kind of invitations have been effective or what kind of invitation worked for you? I would love to get comments back on this.
I would think you would have more success after having built a relationship with a person. Once you have gotten to know them your invitation will be received as a friend. Sometimes people need more than leaving the ball in their court. Make specific plans to be there on a set day and time and make plans to go to brunch following the service. Also sometimes connecting in something other than a worship service is best. Invite a friend to a small group so they can get to know a few people before deciding to join the larger group. We would love guests at any of our church activities.
Well, please let me know your thoughts on invitations and how we can encourage one another to invite people to SEE Christ.

MISSION: Invite someone who does not have a church home to our Easter service, March 23 at 10:00 am at the high school auditorium.

No comments: