Monday, January 14, 2008

Snow Angel

We are focusing on the service part of our new vision statement of being a church where you can SEE Christ. We show Christ to the world through our service. Sometimes we forget that one of our main callings as Christians is to be a servant.
I was reminded of a person who serves me and my family, we call him our Snow Angel. There has been many times this past year at our new home that we have had a snowfall and our sidewalk and driveway were cleared before I got to doing it (often before I got out of bed). Someone had come through with their snowblower. It didn't take long to figure out who it was because I just followed the snowblown trail back to the person's house about a block away.
This servant has blessed me very much because I only have a shovel to clear the snow and my drive is 4 times the size it was at our old house. It has been a major blessing especially on Sunday mornings when it has snowed and I don't want to get up earlier than I already do to shovel and then lead two services.
But I also thought about the other blessings of this service, specifically the time I was given. By having my walk and driveway clear of snow I was saved 30 minutes to an hour depending on the snow. That time is a real gift I hope I can use for God's kingdom because it was given to me as an act of service.
I encourage each of you to think about the gifts you have been given by servants. Thank God for the people that serve you, and be sure to thank them personally as well.

MISSION: Find a place to offer at least 5 hours a month in service to others. If you service area is only a few hours a month then spend the other time praying for that ministry.

1 comment:

The Grier Family said...

I appreciate your thought-provoking and personal blog entries. Everyone could use a snow angel! This week's entry reminds me of the "Pay it Forward" theory of service and kind acts. It is even more rewarding to give than to receive. ~Megan Grier
P.S. Good use of the technology and blog craze! We've set up a blog for Carson so family and friends can watch him grow.