Monday, January 7, 2008

Represent

Our new vision statement for our church is to be a church where you can SEE Christ. A main focus of this is to help others see Christ in our actions and words. In a sense, we represent Christ to the world.
I was thinking about this last night and thought about the difficulties some people have living up to expectations. Some people feel there are certain expectations placed on them and it feels like extra pressure to live up to those expectations. I was thinking specifically of pastors' kids. I am not a pastor's kid, so I don't know what that is like, but my children of course are. They are too young now, but I worry they will feel undue pressure to live up to being children of a pastor.
And then I realized how this applies to our lives as Christians. If God is our Father, then we need to remember we do represent him. Does this mean we all have that extra pressure in our lives? Honestly, I feel the pressure actually comes from not representing God well. The pressures I feel are to live life the world's way and not God's way. Living God's way is more of a relief that deflats pressure then a life that builds pressure. Try it. When you make decisions and live after God's example see if it doesn't relieve some of the pressures of life.

MISSION THIS WEEK: Pray about ways that you have misrepresented God in 2007 and ask for forgiveness. Then pray for guideness to represent God well in 2008, so others can see Christ in you.

No comments: