Wednesday, June 9, 2010

What if...we did not have Annual Conference?

For the last four days I have been at our Iowa Annual Conference. This is where all of the pastors and a portion of laity from Iowa get together for our annual meeting. It is basically an annual business meeting. It seems to be one part celebration of ministry and mission, one part business and one part politics.
I was 15 when I first went to Annual Conference as a youth representative. I have not been every year since then, but probably missed 2 or 3 years. Some conferences I have left feeling God had some work for us to do. Other times I have left wondering if God had been there at all. I wrestle with parts of ministry that relate to business and politics. I know it is reality that both aspects are present in the church, but I still dream of the day when it will be different.
I do not think the church is a business. There are some similarities because a business and a church are organizations. There are some structure similarities and of course you need a budget to know where your resources are going.
I also see where political views intersect faith. But I am not sure they need to be a central part of the church. Main issues I heard debated were marriage, environmental justice, and immigration reform.
I wonder what if Annual Conference was no longer a business or political meeting and instead a time of healing and training for effective ministry. We do already have prayer and worship there, but then add in time for healing and care of pastors who as caregivers are often left uncared for. And then we could also be training pastors the most effective ways to be be caregivers and leaders of their churches.
I know I don't have all the answers, but what we have always done seems to be getting less effective to me.
Anyone else have thoughts on the business and political aspects of the church?

No comments: