Monday, June 21, 2010

What if...God was your go-to-guy?


I thought a good illustration of the way we often look at God is as a hail Mary pass. In football a hail Mary pass is a desperation heave down the field. It is an attempt to throw the ball towards the end zone just praying someone from your team will catch it and score. Every once in a while it works, but most times it does not. (The picture is of Warren Holloway catching a hail Mary from Drew Tate in the 2005 Capital One Bowl Iowa Hawkeye victory.)
I see us relating to God this way when we say something like, "well, I have tried everything else, I guess I could pray." I know I have thought or said that before. We also may not say it, but our actions speak it. We try everything in our own power before turning to God.
What I want to encourage us to do is to make God our go-to-guy. Instead of God being a desperation choice, make God the number one option. Go to God first thing. Make God the first place you turn in good and bad times. God is waiting for you.
If you want to read a great passage about God as a go-to-God read 1 Kings 18:22-39. This story is about Elijah and his trust that God would show up when he needed God.
I want to be a Christian who turns first to God, instead of waiting until I feel I have gone as far as I can go and now God can help me keep going. I still tend to do this as I try to fix things myself. I often jump straight into Mr. Fix-it mode. Instead I need to slow down, take a breath, pray and then go where God leads. When I have taken the time to turn to God first the situation seems to go better.
Where have you seen this work in your life? When has God responded as your go-to-God?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That "Hail Holloway" pass wasn't a hail mary. Holloway was the only one of five receivers open on that play. The Iowa QB hit him right in stride, and Holloway ran 10 yards into the end zone to end the game. A "hail mary" pass is by definition a prayer, a pass that is thrown into a group of people, not thrown to any particular person.

Pastor James said...

Maybe it is not the best example of a hail mary, but for us Hawkeye fans, it is the closest we have in recent memory. And it did feel like an answered prayer (probably not to LSU fans).