Friday, February 6, 2009

Discipleship

The final book I have been waiting to read during my spiritual renewal time is Bill Hull's "The Complete Book of Discipleship." He starts the book with a thought-stopping quote from Dietrich Bonhoeffer. "Christianity without discipleship is always Christianity without Christ." Read that again.
His point is that if we do not have discipleship, learning from and following Christ, then we do not really have a Christian faith. God is still there and we believe in God, but if we are not following Christ, meaning striving to be more like Christ, then we are not really living the Christian life.
I have been trying to figure out a way to be sure our congregation is a disciple making congregation. (Do not get me wrong here, I believe we have many people that are following Christ. I believe as the pastor I have tried to disciple people, mostly through small groups and messages in worship.)
At this time we do not really have a good grasp of being able to show our discipleship is effective? Can we see that people have come to know God and then moved closer to God? Again I think this is happening, but as our congregation grows I think we need to get a coordinated system in order to both mark people's progress, but more important to help show people the direction in discipleship.
I want someone who is new to the faith to know what small groups to attend, what books to read, and what actions of service will help them get started in discipleship. I want someone who has followed Christ for 50 years to know what small groups to attend, what books to read, and what actions of service will help them continue in discipleship.
This book has promised to lead me in personal, small group and congregational discipleship. So I hope when I get back, working with the Education Ministry Team, we can develop a map on how to make disciples of Jesus Christ, so that we can continue to be a church where you can SEE Christ.

PS - If you would like me to personally disciple you please let me know and we can come up with a plan.
PPS - I will be away from the Internet for the next week, a little time away from technology will not hurt, so this will be my last blog until then.
God Bless.

No comments: