Monday, August 11, 2008

What is it?

Yesterday I talked about "it". It came from a book called "How Churches and Leaders Can Get it and Keep it" by Craig Groeschel. I have not read his book yet, but heard him speak at a leadership conference on Friday.
It is not really something you can define, but you can describe it. It is that special something that some people have and you know it when they have it. There is just something different about them, and in most cases if we do not have it we want it.
I also mentioned how some churches have it. You can step in some churches and you can sense something special about that church. Now it is not the Holy Spirit because to say one church has the Spirit and one does not is wrong and not true. So it is more than just having the Holy Spirit.
I have been trying to get more comments on my blog to assure me people are reading, but I was told I do not always leave them open ended enough. So let's see if I can be open ended. What in the world do you think "it" is? I would like to hear your thoughts about people who have it (not that you have to name them, but describe them). Also what does a church that has "it" look like?

4 comments:

Pastor James said...

I had to share what Carla shared with me about my blog. I especially like there should be no "i" in "it" quote.

"When people express a genuine and loving concern for each other, they have "it". There really should be no "I" in "it" because "it" is about others, not about oneself. As Rick Warren says--it's not about you. While he may have been talking about something different, I believe that could apply to "it" as well."

Anonymous said...

If there's no I in "it" then it's just "t". Okay that's just silliness. Back to the subject at hand. I know all that, "it's not about you" stuff is important and what Carla shared with you is true. It's the outward expressions that make "it" happen for people. But I also think that the I is an important part of our spiritual side because if not "I", then who? And I am sorry Jamie and I have been lax in keeping you company on the blog. We've been busy but with school starting soon, we'll be able to devote more time to your thoughts. Jeanie

Anonymous said...

Sam's godparents have "it". I just love to talk with them and be with them because you can feel Christ in them and see it too. They are so at ease with who they are and why God has put them in every situation that arises. Their life has not been easy and I look to them as a wonderful example of who I want to be in my faith. I agree that our church has "it". As a non Methodist 3 years ago that "it" caught John and I a little off guard that first Sunday we attended. And we've been coming back for more every week!
I too hope to get better at resonding - be assured I am reading :-)

Anonymous said...

I believe "it" can be many different things. Someone's voice, someone's phyiscal being, the way someone responds to others. I have never met the original group of Selah but they had it! Just the sound of their voices makes me feel closer to God. It's a genuine, passinate, intense sound that is sweet to my ears.

I also have experienced a phyiscal person who has it. This is a person that almost has a glow around them. People want to be around. It's a Christ-like attitude. No one wants to hang out with grumpy people that appear not to care or just want to voice their opinions. We all want to be around the people that listen and honestly care about others. Attitudes are contagious and being around someone with "it" makes us all feel good! So I think if we all strive to be Christ-like (and lose all the negitive attitudes in our lives) we can all have that!

As for the church... I honestly believe we have some many people in our congregation that have "it" that as a whole we have "it"! There are so many of us that have open minds and attitudes, so many that don't hang on to bitterness or stubberness that makes life challenging. Life is all about living in harmony with each other.

How to keep "it"... Surround yourself with positive people, for every negitive thought you have replace it with 5 positive ones! Don't sweat the small stuff. Pray about a situation before dealing with it. Overall, keep on the sunnyside! Live your life like the words of our songs, by the words spoken on Sunday, in our Good Book and life will be good for all of us!

Love you all!
Jamie