Monday, August 4, 2008

Hungry?

After preaching on "we do not live on bread alone" I had a father tell me that during my message his daughter who is going into second grade, I think, told him I was making her hungry. I shared with the folks at that service that it is good for us to be hungry, hungry for more of the Lord. So I began to think about that hunger. What am I hungry for?
Personally I am hungry from some alone time with God. It has been a very productive, but busy summer for the Parks family. All summer long I have been going from one project to the next. All great projects and important work in building the kingdom of God, but I have had little time for personal time with God for an extended period of time. Selfishly I want more time to not be working for the Lord and just being with the Lord. The work of our church has been the main focus. That work is rewarding, but I am hungry for time to work on my spiritual growth.
I guess I am in one of those desert times I keep talking about. And maybe my sermon series right now is mostly for me. I do know God will use this summer as a marking stone of his future work in me.
So where is your hungry? What are you hungry for that only the Lord can give?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm hungry for Godly conversations. I feel I was at my peak a little over a year ago and just been spiraling down since. I used to have a friend that I talked to daily with and we had the most amazing deep conversations about God and with God. This person and I are still friends but as we all know, life changes and is full of twists and turns. He has drifted away from the Lord and I admit that I have too. All this desert talk has hit me at the right time for sure! I'm a people person and I very much enjoy one on one Godly conversations... I in fact NEED them! I guess I'm asking (praying) for a "God Buddy". Someone I can share my inner most thoughts about God and the bible with. Someone who gets me searching through the scriptures to help the other one and who does the same in return. That is my hunger for now and if anyone would like to pick me up on that PLEASE don't hestitate!

Love,
Jamie