Monday, August 18, 2008

How do we learn about Jesus?

The main goal for Christians in my mind is to reflect the image of Jesus Christ. I wish I could find the perfect way to help others do this, but I am becoming more and more convinced that there is not just one way.
If all we had to do was read the Bible and then we would reflect Jesus that would be great. I could focus all of my attention and energy towards getting people to read the Bible. But just reading the Bible will not do it.
If it just took coming to worship on Sunday mornings to reflect Jesus then again I could focus my energy there. However, I think it takes both of those and then some. It takes Christian community to practice and be held accountable in our words and deeds. It takes prayer time of communicating with God. It takes action and learning as we try to act as the hands and feet of Christ.
So how do we learn who Jesus really is? How do we then help others make it a priority to reflect his character in this world? How can we get better at this?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would love to hear comments on this subject... I've been struggling with a friend of mine who believes that alls he has to do is pray and talk to God daily. He doesn't go to church, he doesn't help others, doesn't give to anything or anyone one, he doesn't even talk about God to others. He honestly doesn't believe that any of that is important, just his own personal relationship of daily communication with God. Now, this friend is VERY troubled... has even attempted many times to take his own life so to me... it's going to take more then just what he's doing to make him happy in life. I read his blogs and they are just so sad so I break out my Purpose Driven Life book and quote replies back to him in hopes that he gets it eventually. I even use the bible itself and I just can't seem to get through to this guy... I guess I'm asking for advice. Are some people just a lost cause? Can we help people that are so resistant and stuck in their ways? Why does he ask for help but refuses to take the advice he's given? Any sugguestions are welcome! Thanks!

Jamie

Pastor James said...

IN response to your question if some people are just lost causes my answer is no. It takes some people longer than others to hear about God's love, but our call is just to continue to show and share God's love until they are open to it.

Anonymous said...

Thanks James!