Monday, July 20, 2009

Zion is...Sacred Space

As we approach the kick-off of EZ Worship at 9:30am August 16th, we are going to learn more about what Zion might represent. EZ stands for Experience Zion and so we need to know what we are looking forward to experiencing.
The first thing Zion represents is sacred space. Zion was and is a place where the presence of God lives. We all know God lives everywhere, but there are certain places God's presence is felt in a special way. I believe the difference is not in God or even the place, but when we enter a sacred place something inside us opens up to experience God more easily.
The church I grew up in, Marion FUMC, is a sacred place for me. No matter how long it has been since I have been in that building, once I am there it feels special. It feels like no other place.
The church I serve now, St. Paul's UMC, is also a sacred space. Not because of the quantity of time I have spent there, but the time there has been packed with experiences that are all new to me as a pastor.
What are your sacred places? Where do you sense the presence of God is near?

2 comments:

Helen said...

This July I am experiencing so many sacred spaces. I just returned from my family reunion/Campmeeting revival in TN, I worshipped at St. Paul's UMC in Williamsburg on Sunday and now I am at Summer Games University with 400 others experiencing God's presence as we look at our identity in Christ.
God is so good to me and I love my life! Thank you Lord for sacred spaces.

Anonymous said...

Growing up in our old church, I had always felt God's presence in that building. I would often go in at various times of day or night for a few moments of "alone" time. It was a sanctuary for my soul. When we left that building, I wasn't sure I could ever feel that way about our new facility. As exciting as the new building was, there was no history there. I couldn't sit and reflect on my childhood, remember my sister's wedding, or visualize Uncle Cliff ringing the bell. Last summer, shortly after we moved into the new church our friends from Arizona came to visit us. They were anxious to see the new church since that was about all John and I had been talking about for many months. As the guys strolled around looking at doors and walls and floor tiles, my friend Patt and I looked at each other and marveled at His work in bringing our congregation to this point. She kept going back to our Jesus banner and told me that every time she entered our sanctuary, the hair on her arms stood up. His presence was so strong, it went right to her heart. And this is in an empty room! Imagine what she would have felt on Sunday when it was full of music, people and lightness!! It was at this moment I discovered I had found my sanctuary again. So I am back to visiting the church again for my alone time. Feeding my soul again. And I am so happy we have this place. Jeanie