Monday, July 27, 2009

Zion is...for singing

We are exploring the meaning of Zion. Today I want us to remember that Zion is a place for singing. Isaiah 12:6 calls the people of Zion to sing for joy. I believe we do have reason to sing. in our lives we have many blessings that draw us to singing.
It was my birthday last week and I was at Summer Games University camp for the week. During that day I had "Happy Birthday" sung to me at least four times if not more. Several times by other pastors and adults at the camp. One time was by over 350 campers and staff, which is the largest crowd I have ever gathered for my birthday. (Actually Helen was giving the message in worship that morning at camp, so she had the mike and got our youth group together to lead the singing.) Birthdays are a wonderful time of singing.
However, we have more to sing about that just another year of life. I can look back over this past year and sing great songs about what God has done. God has been working in my family and church. I have seen God transform lives and renew relationships. I know I can sing for joy because of what God has done.
Isaiah reminds us that we do have reasons to sing because of the glorious things God has done. He also calls us to sing because of the strength, comfort and salvation God has given us.
What are your reasons to sing today?

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

I am singing that my mom is fighting cancer and winning. I am singing because my husband and I have jobs, a home, two wonderful children, a great church family and so many other blessings in our life - there is so much to sing about! God is so good!

Anonymous said...

Answered prayers, beautiful grandchildren, loving husband, amazing children, supportive church family, wonderful friends, talented pastors, safe community, and the list goes on and on......