Wednesday, January 28, 2009

All Things

This morning during my devotional time I was reading the end of the 9th chapter of 1 Corinthians. I was struck by Paul talking about becoming all things to all people. To reach a Jewish person he would speak like a Jew. To reach a Greek person he would speak like the Greek. He would find whatever connection he could in order to spread the gospel message.
I think if this idea is taken too far it can be more harmful than helpful. I thought back to a recent conversation with one of the members of my congregation. This person had discussed with some others why I no longer wore my clerical robe while leading services on Sunday mornings. (I was very pleased this person would bring the concern straight to me instead of just complaining about it.)
As I talked with this person I shared how I wore my robe every Sunday at first because I thought it gave me some authority in the eyes of the congregation. I also thought a 26 year-old could use some help at looking "pastoral." However, I have never felt I was a robe-wearing pastor. A robe, to me, is too formal. I am more relaxed. So I felt the robe was not who I was and I wanted to be genuine with the people of the congregation. I did learn that day the importance of wearing my robe for those who appreciate it on communion Sundays, which I will be more mindful to do in the future.
However, I do not want to appear like all things to all people in the sense that I put on a false exterior to try to get on the inside with someone. I know I must be genuine and sincere when I try to connect with people, so I look for other connections. I often use my fondness of sports to connect with people where I can often talk about any one's favorite team and what is happening with their team. I also use locations to connect with people and share stories of when I have been to places they connect with or at least my knowledge of that location.
Most of all, I think I try to relate to people that I make mistakes just like they do. Although I am a pastor I am in no way perfect or the judge of their imperfection. I am who God made me to be and the more I can connect with that reality the more God will use me in all things. He will do the same with you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your story about wearing your robe reminded me of a television newcaster that would wear a suit coat, dress shirt and tie with cut off jean shorts and sandals to read the news each evening. No one ever saw below his waist so he was comfortable in his grubbies. Then came the day the new guy was directing the cameras and thought it would be very dramatic to come up at the news desk from the side and swing around to the front. He didn't know the habits of the anchorman so it was a big surprise for all of us! I guess this is one more story of something not being what we thought. I agree with you that we need to be comfortable in our own skins so we can be all we can be to all people. The true things in life, honesty, compassion, caring, love, empathy wear no disguises. PS: We are all comfortable with your "pastoral" look. :-)