Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Grace Stories

I preached on God's grace Sunday from Matthew 20:1-16. This parable of the landowner is an excellent picture of God's grace and an example of how gracious God is compared to us. We read this story and it does not sit right with us, but Jesus was content to tell this story as an example of the kingdom of heaven.
Well, we had a awesome weekend at Chrysalis. The 14 guys and 30 girls of the flight were blessed by God's gracious love. Much of the weekend is focused on God's grace and how it shows up through the love we receive from others. It is amazing to see young people receive gift after gift of God's love from people they may not know or have just met. Like my lawn mysteriously being mowed while I was gone last month. Grace is receiving what we do not deserve.
We often think we want everyone to get what they deserve, but I really think the world would not be a good place if we all got what we deserve. We receive so many things we do not deserve. Do I really deserve two beautiful children? I do I deserve my wonderful wife? Did I deserve to serve this congregation? I see those gifts in my life and I am not sure I deserve them, but I am thankful for them.
So, what are you thankful for that you may not have deserved? Do you have a grace story? How have you see the undeserved love of God in your life?

3 comments:

Helen said...

Everytime I truly think about it, I am so thankful for God's grace in my life, because the life i have is not the life I deserve. Thank you God.

Anonymous said...

God alone has loved me when no other human could or would.

I did not at all deserve God's Love or even His reassurance that he would handle the hardest of times if I gave them to Him.

I still do not feel I am deserving of anything at all. Yet God Loves me. At times I ask Him ~ why Lord? He could as easily turn His back on me as any human.

I guess I remain in awe.

By the way ~ thank you for this little slice of Love on an internet filled with mean spirited bloggers and info.

I know I shall return again as I am bookmarking this blogspot.

Kate B

Pastor James said...

Kate,
Thanks for reading my blog. I hope it did remind you of God's gracious love for us. And that we are called to show that in this world as well.