Monday, November 15, 2010

$5 Challenge

[I just checked and I have had only one comment on my blog in the last two months. The reason I do a blog is to try to have some extra interaction with people that is not always possible on Sundays. So I am wondering if it is worth my time and effort if I am not hearing back from people. So let me know if there is something I need to do different to get responses. Or maybe blogging is just not my thing.]

Yesterday I encouraged our congregation to step up their generosity. I believe we have been generous as a congregation, but to continue the ministry Christ has called us to we need to continue to grow.
I used the parables from Matthew 13:44-46 to remind us that we have a priceless gift in the kingdom of God. I define the kingdom of God as our experience of God with us. It is about our relationship to the Creator of the Universe. And it is because of this gift that I am generous towards the ministry of the church. I have experienced the kingdom of God and I want every else to experience it as well. I know it will be a priceless gift for them as they experience it.
So I am challenge people first to tithe, which is giving 10% of our income to God's work. And secondly if you need help moving towards the tithe to start by giving at least $5 more per week this next year.
We have 205 families in our congregation that support our ministries. If 200 of them give $5 more a week that will be an additional $52,000 for ministry in 2011. If we all join in and do our part, great things can be done. Now if $5 a week sounds like a lot. It is just $20-$25 more a month or $260 for the year.
What I would like comments back on is how to save $5 a week in order to give that $5 to God's ministry. I would love to hear some creative ideas on how people could find an extra $5 a week. I keep thinking about my $5 mocha at the coffee shop. If you have a home phone, internet and cable at home and you could go without one of those you could probably save over $25 a month. If you drink a lot of pop you could save money by purchasing the generic brands instead of the name brands. Let me know your ideas of what you have done or what you might do to free up $5 a week to continue the God work that is happening around us.

4 comments:

The Grier Family said...

I read most of your blogs! My first thought on saving $5/wk was to cut out pop....then I read on to your suggestion, too.:) Another would be packing lunches...saves at least $3/day.

wyowords said...

How many page views do you get? If you go into the design area there is a tab stats. That will tell you how many people are reading the blog.
I know I do every week.

Pastor James said...

I have a stat tracking site that says around 30-35 unique visitors a week. I guess I had mostly looked at the daily total which has close to 20 on Mondays and then under 10 other days. So that is not bad, but I still want to hear more from people.

wyowords said...

I wonder how many people are aware of it. It's not in the anchor. I got here by looking at the church website. Maybe there can be a ? to answer about the service and a small prize for the first 20 that answer correctly. I think its just needs a bit of advertisement.