Monday, October 25, 2010

Celebrating 40 Days of Community

40 days is a sacred time period for Christians. We look back and recognize that Moses spent 40 days on Mt. Sinai when he received the 10 Commandments from God. Jesus took 40 days for prayer and fasting before he began his ministry to the world. Jesus also spent 40 days after his resurrection with his followers. So God seems to do amazing things in 40 days.
I believe God has done it again. As we gave 40 days focusing on what it means to live in community, we learned that we are better together. Not only did we learn that lesson, but we lived it.
Yesterday in worship we had a time for people to share what God did in 40 days. It was a powerful time of hearing testimonies of what God was doing. I want to do the same with my blog this week. I want to invite anyone who reads it to share what God did in your life the last 40 days. So please comment on this blog and just share a sentence or a story praising God for what He did.

I praise God for all of the servants I have seen. Hearing all of the ideas that the 40 Days small groups are coming up with to reach out and serve our community is amazing. And then seeing results from some of those ministries already encourages me that God has plenty more for us to do to show his love to this world.
Our 40 Days of Community focus has ended, but I believe it is just the beginning of the next step for St. Paul's UMC to become the Body of Christ God has called us to be.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I could not share yesterday as my emotions were hard enough to kkep in check while I was singing. My small group is my Praise Band. They have always been there for me and during these last couple weeks have shown me so much love - there are no words to describe how it felt to have them hold me and pray over me. God is giving me a new direction in my life and I have no doubt that my church commuity and small group will be there for me. 40 Days of Community has shown me that it is ok to ask for help and to lean on others - "we're all in this together!"