Monday, January 11, 2010

New Hero

I have a new hero. His name in Manoah and I did not know his name until just last week. Last week I found his story in Judges 13. Manoah is the father of Samson. An angel told his wife she would have a son. Once he heard this news he got on his knees and in verse 8 prayed for God to send back His messenger to teach him how to care for his coming son.
Manoah did not pretend like he would know what to do as a new parent. He did not just assume he would figure it out. Instead, he turned to God for guidance right away. I want to be like Manoah. He seems humble as he is willing to look for help. He seems confident in God's work because he turns to God for the help he needs. And I think he also seems to understand the magnitude of the calling to be a parent. If we really let the full weight of being responsible for another life settle in on us, we should be overwhelmed.
So, I hope my new hero will inspire me to have humility in my parenting, confidence in God's ability to work even through someone like me, and to know that only by God's grace can I fulfill my calling as a parent.
In response to this I would love for my blog to be a place for parenting questions and encouragement. Feel free to post questions you might have or have heard asked about parenting. I think encouraging one another is also important, so if you see some great parenting going on I would love to hear about that as well. Hopefully we can keep this going for the month of focusing on being better parents.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Many years ago a friend of mine, after several failed attempts to conceive, decided with her husband to adopt two children out of foster care. Their new daughter was nine; their son was six. Being the supportive friends we were, we held a "baby" shower for them to supply their home with games, puzzles and books. I remember how one woman at the shower made the observation that given the ages of the children, Cindy and Don were "half-way done" raising these kids. My sister and I just looked at each other and laughed. We both knew that once you have a child in your home the parenting never ends. Even after they turn eighteen and move away from your home, you are still on call 24/7 for medical advise, care and feeding, discipline techniques and the list goes on. At least that was how it was for us. Mom was there to lend a guiding hand, to help out in a pinch and yes, sometimes to butt in. She never quit being our mom just as I never quit being mom to Jamie and Jason. I know sometimes our advise is unwanted and uneeded but not to worry! It's still there! It just takes a different form now. I have often said it's much easier to have children children than adult children. You lose that control. You cannot make them do what you think is best. I guess that is when you can take stock of how well you did your job by the decisions they make on their own. I am not always proud of their choices but I will always be proud of them. And now we get the chance to do it all over again with Jeana, Jack and Jagger!

Anonymous said...

Do any of you struggle with the difference of parenting styles in your house? For example... When I put the children to bed, it's pretty routine, showers, brush teeth, story or song, prayers, quite. When Danny puts them to bed they shower, MAYBE brush their teeth, some sort of wrestling or tickle fights, prayers and then they are expected to lay down and go to sleep! LOL! Keep in mind that we have a child who pretty much doesn't sleep as it is and then to hype him up? I just decided that I have to LOVE that he is an involved father and step back if he's not doing it the way I would and let him do his thing. Kind of like what they told us at lamaze now that I think of it! Does anyone else have this same thing going on?

Jamie

Pastor James said...

Jeanie, I am not sure I want to think about adult children yet, but I hope I can follow your example.
Jamie, Helen and I are different as well. I do think you need to accept some differences and focus on the goal. If Danny gets them to sleep, that is what is important. If they stay up, that's his problem. ha ha.

Anonymous said...

Oh, if only it WERE only his problem!! :-) And to continue with Jamie's thought...grandparents will parent diffently than the parents perhaps want them to and that can be a huge problem. How do you say "Stop loving SO much that you are becoming a problem?" Not that Jamie and Dan have that problem with John and I at all! hahaha

cyril said...

Am not married yet!! But now for sure I know that i ought to read Judges 13 while expecting as a father.