Monday, September 14, 2009

Join the Club

Truth #5 is that contentment in life can only be found within. True peace and satisfaction can only come from God who resides in us. However, we so often look outside ourselves to satisfy this longing to be content.
One place we look for contentment is in relationships thinking that if we have the right relationship we will be content. This relationship might be a love relationship or it might be fitting into the right group like a club or team. Another place we look for contentment is in the stuff we possess. If we can just buy enough stuff we will be content.
When I was in high school and college I had this desire that seemed to find contentment in buying Christian music. I joined one of those music clubs where you ordered CD's and they were mailed to your house. I could not buy enough of these CD's. I have probably over 200 Christian music CD's. Most of them are older now since I do not spend my money on CD's too often now, but back then I know I spent too much on them. I have Christian CD's that are rock, punk, techno, instrumental, classic, and everything else. I even have Jesus Loves Me in a rap version.
Something inside of me kept wanting more and more of these CD's. I was not content if I did not have the latest and greatest Christian music. Thankfully they were a pretty good deal through the club. Normally their CD's were like $18, but I only bought one when you got 4 free CD's with the purchase of one. So, with shipping payments of $2 for each CD it was like 5 CD's for $28, which is not bad.
I do not know where you have tried looking to fill that place of contentment in your life; cars, houses, gadgets, relationships, but I do know that there is never enough. Eventually we have to realize that those things will not satisfy our cravings and only by turning to God will we truly be content. It is okay to still collect things or want stuff, but only if that stuff is not an attempt to find contentment.
I think officially I am still a member of the music club, but I have not order CD's from them lately. I lean more on my membership of the Christian club that finds contentment and peace in Jesus Christ. I hope you are a full member of that club as well.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I used to have my children cut pitures out of magazines of things they wanted and glue them to poster board and hang it in their rooms. Lately I've decided to change that around... I LOVE the vision board idea but not for STUFF. I've decided to make each one of them a vision board with pictures of praying hands, good grades, motivating words, all things they want to acheive to become better people.

I've done this for myself and keep mine in the bathroom that I get ready for the day in. At the same time that I am focusing on goals it's a great reminder of everything that I have to be thankful for as well!

I hope I can teach my children to be content in their lives with their new vision boards because I know that they can NEVER be content with their WANT boards that I made them in the past.

Jamie Muse

Pastor James said...

Jamie, that idea of a vision board is pretty neat. I wonder what the power of the THANKSGIVING board would be. Remembering everything we have to be thankful for is very powerful. Neat idea.

Helen said...

Jamie,
You have the best ideas. Would you start a ministry where you come to my house and make vision boards and organize meals for my family? You rock!

Anonymous said...

Actually I would LOVE to do that for you and your family... and anyone else for that matter! :-)