Monday, March 16, 2009

Pieces of Peace

Yesterday we looked at Jesus as the one and only. Jesus is the one who can hold our lives together and give us peace.
With the beautiful weather yesterday I finally got out onto my garage roof to install a new digital TV antenna. We had been using rabbit ears on each of our TV sets and I decided it was time to get a good outside antenna. I was proud of myself because it really did not take me too long to get things figured out and working because I am not always a great handy man.
My handy man training has mostly come from my grandpa who would never fix something I needed fixed without my help so that I could learn how to do it.
One practice I did pick up from my grandpa was to save extra pieces. If there are left over screws or bolts I put them into my toolbox in case I need them for another project. Then when I have a project that needs a spare screw or bolt I go digging through my spares. However, more often then not I cannot find the exact piece I need. Either the piece is too long or too short. It is too thick or too thin. Many times I have to go out and buy the piece I need.
I thought about this as I thought about the many different pieces we try to use to hold our lives together and to give us peace in our hearts. We look to wealth, beauty, popularity and everything else when Jesus says he is the one and only who can give us that peace. We can keep trying to use spare parts or we can just go to the one and only Son of God and ask for the peace he offers.
When I need a reminder of this peace in my life I just say the name of Jesus several times. It is a whispered prayer for Jesus to bring me peace. Usually in those few quiet seconds his peace comes. Does anyone else have a little way to remember the peace God offers in times of stress?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Years ago a friend gave me this little ditty...
Happy moments, praise God.
Difficult moments, seek God.
Quiet moments, worship God.
Painful moments, trust God.
Every moment, thank God.
It's helped me through a lot of icky stuff. So that's my peace of God in times of stress. Like now.

Pastor James said...

Peace is a good thing now.