Monday, December 8, 2008

Blue Christmas

My message yesterday was a reminder to celebrate the joy of Christmas like the shepherds of Luke 2. They were working when an angel showed up and shared with them the message of the birth of the Savior. This begun the very first Christmas office party.
Christmas for many of us is a mainly joyous occasion as we get to spend time with family and give and receive gifts. But for some people Christmas is a reminder of difficulties in life. Some do not have great families or others to connect with during the holidays. For some this may be their first Christmas without a spouse, parent or child. So Christmas becomes a reminder of sorrow instead of joy.
I was just reminded this past week about my grandma whose health is failing. She seems to be having some dementia and is not her normal self. I was reminded of this as we ate a chicken casserole that is very similar to my grandma's turketti, which she made every year after Thanksgiving with leftover turkey. When I was growing up we would eat turketti for weeks until Christmas. This year there was not any turketti and it may seem funny, but it is a sad reminder to me that my grandma will not live forever and the end of her life here may be near.
These kinds of feelings people often hide or try to ignore during the holidays because we are suppose to be cheerful, and yet the pain is real. At some point I would like our church to have something like a blue Christmas service, where you remember loved ones who have died and the other realities of sorrow during the holidays.
I hope Christmas will bring you joy, but I also want to recognize there is pain and sorrow we remember during the holidays as well. I hope and pray you can share these feelings with others or with me because we can find comfort in our sorrow together as we lean on the Lord for strength.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A week ago Sunday was our "Gardner Christmas" so I spent the afternoon with my brothers and their wives at my brother Paul's home in Iowa City. It was a nice afternoon, filled with food and memories. Since John was sick, I went by myself. And although it was a good time and I enjoyed seeing my family again, it was still tinged with sadness at those who were not with us. On the way home that day, I was comparing this years Christmas gathering to those of the past with all the chaos of children, gifts, games and laughter. It made me so very sad that when I got back to the Burg, I drove out to Oakhill Cemetery to wish the rest of my family a Merry Christmas. As I sat in my car in front of the graves of my parents and sister, I cried big, heavy sobs. I mean they were doozies! I miss them so very much and especially this time of year. Rita was all about Christmas; funky sweaters, dancing Santas, Chex mix, the whole nine yards. As much as I rolled my eyes at her childlike enthusasim, I'd give anything to unwrap one of her totally inappropriate gifts. Then I thought about how grateful I am that I had these people in my life. The amazing things they taught me, how much they loved me in spite of me, and how I am the person I am because of them. It's still sad that they are gone but I know they live forever in His kingdom and in my heart and in the souls of my grandchildren. Life goes on...Jeanie