Tuesday, April 29, 2008

God Speaks Daily

I want to do some blogging about the daily devotions. I hope that others will join me. The three that I use are the Upper Room, the Transformation Journal, and a Max Lucado book "Grace for the Moment". I would encourage you to pick one and the only reason I am doing three at this time is because I hope that you will choose one that you like to do with me. Normally I do not use three.
Well, today two of the three spoke specifically about personal time with the Lord each day, so I had to praise God for his miraculous timing. I plan to share the Lucado devotion at Men's Breakfast, so I won't spoil that fun for those men here, but the Upper Room today was an encouragement.
The devotion was basically about regaining our zeal for the Lord, which happen to be my sermon on Sunday. The thought in the devotion was to remember when you first turned your life to the Lord. So that took me back to the summer of 1992. I went to a Summer Games camp, as a counselor even though I did not have a relationship with God at the time. The first night there I realized how much God loved me and I gave my life to him.
Especially that first summer I had no idea what exactly I was doing, but boy was I excited to do it. I just listened and learned from the other counselors and repeated whatever they said. Then that fall I "helped" teach confirmation in my home church. Actually I was sitting in on three confirmation classes absorbing all that I could.
I do still try to absorb as much of the Lord as I can through reading the Scriptures, other Christian books, and prayer, but I still would not mind more time for that.
Well, I hope you are finding a place to receive some nourishment from the Lord and are excited about the possibilities of the future the Lord has planned for you.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it is amazing that in many different studies and/or ministries that I participate, God keeps saying the same thing, "Spend time with me." The Holy Spirit seems to be touching and leading members of this church (including myself) to take their relationship with God to a deeper level.

Anonymous said...

I totally see that in you Helen... sometimes (to me anyway) it's ALMOST visible that you are filled with the Holy Spirit. Just the way you get so passionate and how you break from your comfort zone and speak out what you feel the Lord is saying to you. I wish we all did this more. I'm VERY VERY shy in front of a large group but I've very much enjoy those smaller groups where I've been trying to do the same kind of thing. Granted my thoughts and the way I express them maybe goofier then yours but said with love all the same! LOL! I want to challenge you all to start speaking out more... if in your gut you hear what you think is God deep in your gut, don't keep it to yourself, say it out loud and proud! I think God tries to speak through us a lot but we hold ourselves back because we are afraid what other people are going to think or maybe like me, just plain shy but it's important for us to break from that and speak God's words to each other!

Love you all!
Jamie

Anonymous said...

I think it's just been our nature as Methodists to restrain ourselves when speaking about our faith. It's going to be hard to break out of that habit. So many folks are so very private in our church..they don't want everyone to know their business, they dont' want to "bother" anyone. And yet these are the first folks that will reach out their hand, say a prayer, come mow your yard, etc. Hopefully we will come to be a church that can give AND receive! Jeanie
PS: what do you think, Jamie? :-)

Anonymous said...

I totally see that but I like to be "bothered", I want to know people's business not for the sake of knowing but I want to be one to say a prayer, help clean someones house, run kids here and there, maybe not the lawn mowing thing... I never really learned how to do that but you see where I'm going! LOL! I'm sure that "breaking out of our shell" will take time and I respect that. We can at least make some baby steps though... don't you think?

Anonymous said...

Yes, and I think having so many new and different faces may help in that. It forces us to look at things a different way because we are not all the same. Are you coming over for supper tonight? Jeanie/Mom

Anonymous said...

The Upper Room has been on my heart lately... I use to read it all the time and LOVED it! I have been trying to figure out why I don't read it anymore and I think was trying to convince myself it's because I read so much at night just before bed. I remember now that I use to keep it in my purse and that's why I read it so much before. We all have to wait, we wait at the doctor's office, in line at the check out counter, at stop lights, or for your dad who seems to always run late (Now you know where I get it from! LOL!). Anyway, I use to take advantage of those times to pull that little book out and read it. We also found out that we have a lot of bathroom readers here at work. Sorry if that grosses some of you out but it's amazing at how someone can walk out of the bathroom here and be in a completely different mood! It's been a wonderful tool here at our office but we are fortunate to have open Christians here where some places might frown upon that which is too bad. Anyway, I just wanted to share those two ideas if you are struggling to find the time to read a devotional, doesn't even have to be The Upper Room. I just like the size of it, it's very much purse size! LOL! Not to mention I really do get a lot out of it!

Love,
Jamie

Pastor James said...

Jamie, thanks for the thoughts. Maybe we can work on a book together, "Entering the Throneroom" or something like that for a bathroom devotional. What do you think?

Pastor James

Anonymous said...

That is TOO funny!!! Sounds like a great idea! LOL!